Aerial view of l'Albufera
These golas are natural or artificial channels that connect the lake of l'Albufera with the sea.
Until the beginning of the 18th century, there was only one natural gola over 200 meters wide. It was opened and closed with a reed and mud barrier in order to control the flow of fish between the sea and l'Albufera, as well as the water level.
The amount of fresh water increased due to irrigation development and the natural channels’s closure from excess sediment. At The beginning of the 17th century, this caused the Albufera to become a freshwater lake, which resulted in the salt mines abandonment, a reduction in fishing, and the expansion of nearby rice fields.
While the lake still had a high enough salinity level, a few Racó de l'Olla salt mines, which were likely of Roman origin, would continue working in the Albufera to supply salt to the city of Valencia.
The higher proportion of fresh water in the lake led to the construction of new channels to ensure the surrounding rice fields could be properly drained. At the end of the 18th century, the current Perelló channel was excavated. The Perelló River was constructed in 1873, and the Pujol later in 1953.